Fall is so close and I can’t wait to go pumpkin picking and decorating. Summer is long in Tennessee and October has become my favorite outdoor month. We will be going to an apple orchard next week and to get us in the mood we made a stained glass apple craft. It takes a tiny bit of preparation, toddlers will definitely need help with cutting but elementary school children can master this craft all by themselves.
Stained glass apples look very pretty when hung in the window and the light shines through them but they are also cute as general Fall decor.
Stained Glass Apple Materials
- Apple Template, printable below
- card stock or craft paper in apple colors: red, green, yellow, orange, brown
- tissue paper in yellow, red and green tones, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 squares of contact paper per apple
- Gather all your material. Print out the template and cut out the shapes for apple, stem and leaf.
- Cut tissue paper in one inch squares
- Cut contact paper into squares, about 2-3 inches larger than the apple template.
- Place the templates onto the card stock and trace the shapes. You will need one stem, one leaf and two apple shapes.
5. Pull cover layer off the contact paper and place it sticky side up on the table. If it starts to curl, tape the corners to the table surface.
6. Place one apple shape on the sticky contact paper.
7. Select tissue paper and place the little inside the frame. The tissue paper can overlap and stick out over the sides of the frame.
8. Once the entire inside is covered with tissue paper, take the stem and put it in place.
9. Then place the second frame over the craft and line up as close as possible.
10. Glue the leaf on the stem.
11. Cover the apple with the second layer of contact paper. Be careful not to create any air bubbles. The contact paper will keep everything stuck together.
12. Cut out the apple and hang into a window.
Repeat and try different color variations. If you are doing this craft with a preschool group I would suggest to cut out the templates ahead to save time.
If you like this stained glass apple craft, check out more apple crafts right here: 20 Apple Crafts and Activities for Kids.
Print on card stock for best results.